- Respect for self, for others, for our world
- Integrity in everything that we do
- Patience with the development of the child
- Each of us is an ambassador of peace
The Montessori School (TMS) educates children using the authentic Montessori approach—a multi-sensory curriculum that allows for individualized teaching and for students to learn and be challenged at their own pace as they develop academically. As a community that fosters self-confidence, leadership, and respect for self and others, TMS encourages students to grow as self-motivated, intellectually engaged learners who will serve their larger communities as both accomplished students and ambassadors of peace.
- The Montessori School believes that full educational excellence requires a diverse community. We strive to create an environment that fosters peace, embraces diversity and encourages a diverse population. Our goal is to promote inclusion and collaboration, supporting an environment of openness where the exchange of ideas is appreciated and encouraged.
- Multicultural education is an integral part of the Montessori philosophy. Our curriculum respects the individuality of each child, creates a community of cooperation and nurtures a sense of wonder and curiosity about our differences. We honor and actively explore the varied backgrounds and cultures in the world. Students are encouraged to appreciate different perspectives, identify and reject stereotypes and prejudices, and work for equality and justice within the school and the world.
- TMS enjoys a diverse community of students, families and staff, and supports differences of gender, race, religion, family structure, socio-economic level, age, sexual orientation, and learning style. We strive to maintain a collaborative environment rooted from the sharing of experiences, ideas and unique qualities that each of our members brings to the school. Our goal is that through these efforts, each member of our community will feel valued and understood.
We envision an ideal school that:
- Fosters a community shaped by beliefs in Montessori values and a quest for a peaceful world.
- Is open to and supportive of all families who want to commit to the Montessori philosophy.
- Promotes the Montessori philosophy and method in the school community, the community around us, and the professional education community.
- Enables our children to reach their full potential as independent persons, with a global perspective for bettering the earth and its community.
- Embraces innovation and advancements commensurate with Montessori philosophy.
- Challenges parents and staff to “follow the child” in a compassionate, non-competitive way, and have faith that each child’s individual development will delight us.
- Creates a culture of mutual respect, compassion, and goodwill, and inspires a commitment to personal integrity and excellence.
Statement of Philosophy
The Montessori philosophy is central to the mission of The Montessori School. The goal is to establish an environment that respects the child’s unique path of learning and to use it as a guide in developing the adult he/she will become. That goal is achieved through the application of the sequential and rich Montessori curriculum and the gentle guidance of Montessori-trained teachers. Specifically, the objectives are:
- To prepare the child’s classroom environment in a manner that stimulates interest, builds attention and focus, develops self-awareness and increases the understanding of the larger world.
- To provide a positive social environment through three-year age groupings that offer experience in roles as helper, observer, learner, teacher and leader.
- To create an environment that enables children to form values through free choice of purposeful activity and reflection on those choices.
- To offer a physical environment which allows children to move and to perfect movement.
- To create opportunities for children to develop independence, concentration, self-esteem and respect for all living things.
- To assist the child’s self-construction through a personalized system of Montessori methods and materials.
- To create and sustain an atmosphere of love, peace and encouragement throughout the learning process.